Paragliding in Riyadh
Paragliding in Riyadh is unparalleled fun, and it is one of the most important things to do in Riyadh that you can do at least once in your life. It is also the perfect sport to make your adrenaline rush when you fly high over the desert, farms of Riyadh, and sand dunes, along with a lot of wonderful scenery that you will see. Below is a breakdown of everything you will need to know about paragliding in Riyadh.
Best places in Riyadh to fly above
Riyadh has many wonderful views and areas that will enchant you with their beauty and which will be the right place to fly over, such as:
Kingdom Tower in Riyadh
The Kingdom Tower is one of the most famous tourist places in Riyadh. It is 300 meters tall and is considered one of the tallest towers in Saudi Arabia. It is also called the Kingdom Center. It opened in 2002 AD to become one of the most important commercial and tourist centers in Saudi Arabia. The Kingdom Tower consists of 99 floors. It will be a great opportunity to see it from above. And you are flying in the sky.
It is an area where you will see a painted realistic painting that shines brightly when viewed from above.
Al Thumama Farms
Al Thumama farms are located within Al Thumama Wild Park, and it contains many types of plants such as Thumama, acid, pomegranate and other plants that you will discover when you fly over them.
Al-Athiriya Village was established to preserve the heritage, as it is located in the north of the city of Riyadh.
Types of paragliding flights
There are three types of paragliding flights that differ according to altitude, wind movement, and other weather conditions, and they are:
Soarin flights for paragliding
In this type of flying the flights will be with the help of the wind which is directed upwards with the use of a fixed object such as hills or sand dunes, where the pilot flies with the help of an airlift with the slope and the lift is provided by air, the height of the slope depends entirely on the steady wind along with the wind speed and skill the pilot.
Thermal flights for paragliding
Thermal flying is one of the most popular types of paragliding that you will find. Heat is usually a rising column of air caused by the heat of the sun above the ground. Pilots usually use a paragliding tool called a vario to see where they can find the heat. Once they spot the heat, they approach it. They fly in circles trying to reach the heat center also known as the 'core'.
Paragliding flights across the country
It is the most difficult among the other types of gliding, because in this case you will need to control the wing and know how the glider works, and once you know how thermal flying works, you can try cross-country, in this case, you have to understand the flow of thermal techniques because you will slide from one temperature to another.
Paragliding rules for your first trip
- You must pay attention to the wind because if you are paragliding without paying attention to the wind, your parachute may close or you may have difficulty controlling yourself.
- Helmets must be worn on all flights. In addition, visibility during flight must be at least 1,800 meters.
- The selected flight areas must be suitable for flying so that there are no obstructions such as trees or bushes.
- Take-off and landing areas, wind cover, etc. must be taken into account. In addition, a first aid kit must be available in the flight area.
- Anyone weighing less than 100 kg can practice paragliding, with the exception of pregnant women, patients with asthma, heart diseases, and patients with epilepsy.
What do you bring in your first Paragliding trip?
If this is your first paragliding trip, here are some things that you must take with you to enjoy your trip and spend a lot of relaxing time, and they are:
- Lightweight gloves for flying in warmer climates.
- Warm gloves for high altitudes or long distances.
- Sturdy sneakers or hiking boots.
- Sun Screen.
- Sun-protective clothing.
- Long pants.
- Windbreaker jacket.
- Cap or sun hat.
- Water Container.
- Flip Flops/ Sandals.